Here we go.

03 August 2016

warm kitchenette

I asked around for a recommendation for a tile person and a few people told me about Isaac. I peeped his social media and while his work looked pretty good, he is a bloody Bruins fan and that is unacceptable. I set aside my pure, ice cold hate and rang him up. He was such an asshole. First, he told me congrats, you got ripped off by those people who made your tile! (Our tile was hella expensive, yes, but after getting exactly what we dreamed of and having taken a tour of the facilities where it was made, and meeting the folks who put it all together, here, in Arkansas, we figured it was worth it) THEN, he kept talking over me to a cashier, rather rudely, I might add, because he was literally being checked out at H0me Dep0t while on the phone with me. Then he quotes me some bogus number without even having checked out the kitchen, so my initial feelings of disgust rose and I was sure we would not be hiring this POS Boston hockey lover.  

We called another fella, who came over, took measurements, really poked around, and gave us an estimate weeks later. The number was so large, I just cackled on the phone, probably making him somewhat regretful he called me back. He was a nice guy, but there was no way we could pay that sum.  With that, we decided that we'd just do it ourselves.

We did our internet research, watched the Y0utube, and set our sights and timeline on the upcoming NYE holiday. I sincerely believed that we could do it in four days. Demo the existing tile, make any necessary repairs, and then tile to completion. *cackle*

First of all, let's acknowledge the fact that ATM + I lived with this horror for well over a year:
 photo 86440AAD-BE52-4207-8F9C-6BCCA2ECBD23_zpsonz2dqjy.jpg

Uh huh, fully functional, but it made me depressed:
 photo 5F5B8A2D-363F-4F04-865B-D18F072235EB_zpsndaqzvlz.jpg

Peace out forever, ugly kitchen!
 photo C01CDA9E-978F-4A6F-919F-911D6E173242_zpsxjutnx6g.jpg

 photo 730F32DA-8562-4036-BDDF-19AA2C9A7146_zpshddo4d04.jpg

We were expecting the worst, but the sub-floor was in excellent shape:
 photo 11730595-35F9-4205-932E-3F037D9A016B_zps5wlyljkh.jpg

The super:
 photo 96545530-25AD-4086-93C1-309BFB5532DB_zpsop7wdark.jpg

Laying backer board is the easy part, IMO:
 photo 99DEEA7E-D209-4A1A-A0AF-3DC803FB33C0_zpsqlmkkpp6.jpg

"Helping":
 photo 79A94EA2-8C30-40BE-927A-F6248E3C8896_zpsimtwezu1.jpg

Kneepads are a game-changer:
 photo B8481934-8D45-42F8-BBF6-8FFE098D85D1_zpsamzwbol9.jpg

KMHD offered to help as this would be a learning experience for her:
 photo 0EF48954-02D6-456F-A246-1D7DB7EBD492_zpsrdtctwjc.jpg

Cute:
 photo 3718B2B3-F853-452C-91A4-C1ED1DB40A2E_zpsw20cqgqi.jpg

So dang cute:
 photo 5474F13C-0B78-474B-9BEF-91B3F5E596A6_zpszjorsy0u.jpg

ATM laying the last tiles. David Bowie died this day. 10 January 2016.  There are tears mixed in that grout. At this point, all we did was go to work, come home, work on the tile floor.  It was January and it was depressing.
 photo 859255A8-D810-4F4E-BB3C-0BA50907E562_zpskmcskqll.jpg

About a week later, ATM + I went to Memphis (we are practically citizens!) to meet up with Trish + Anthony to go to a Grizz game, a truly welcome break from TILING. Too, it was my first NBA game. Magical! #grindcity #GoGrizz We totally beat them Knickerbockers!
 photo 30C60BA1-C144-40FD-9842-18962BE39D4C_zpsk1gobre3.jpg

The next day, we did try Schweinehaus, which has excellent food, and I liked the interior:
 photo 6972F563-1830-44D8-9085-C386023611D0_zpss59i8cyy.jpg

 photo 7A5157B1-A808-4986-A0C7-ECE83821EF42_zpshlwtlcp0.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHA, back to tiling. This is the beginning of grouting, which is one of the easier steps:
 photo 570C51A6-6629-410C-AA29-AC099B549F0A_zpsbxru2csg.jpg

My pride + joy on top of my pride + joy:
 photo 2FE1CBD2-9991-4318-9529-0D82DB7E7A30_zpsnkwnyi7w.jpg

Another break! Our pal Ben came to visit, fresh off a plane from Japan with really good sake. You have probably not had good sake. You might think you have, but I assure you, you have not. One day, I might be able to introduce you to really good sake. It will change the way you drink. Anyway, we had a private tasting and it was fantastiche!
 photo 0F158BF9-AB02-465E-92E2-49437C8A5D33_zpsp7vylncr.jpg

 photo 4D08A8D7-6F3D-4A9E-9092-63F19608A63C_zpsooy5pt89.jpg

 photo AC3F2321-FC20-422F-89FC-AD6A3C506872_zpswndzf1ef.jpg

January 20. We've finally finished grouting. The following photos will show you the state of the tile that almost made us lose our minds and turn against each other. Grout haze. Don't let it get to you, mmkay?  No amount of scrubbing will remove it. You might find yourself at H0me Dep0t looking crazed and desperate. You might walk up to some redneck lookin' fella loading up a cart with backer board and with a hoarse voice beg him to help you figure out how to remove this stuff.  He might be annoyed and roll his eyes, but he'll lead you to the ACID. You have to use acid to remove grout haze. 
 photo D1D4C6A1-B169-4A9A-8BDD-D79F2429B019_zpsyv3bggdw.jpg

 photo 8BCF3803-3B29-469C-8D1C-24779D3FA3B0_zps5izejktn.jpg

 photo 64166E49-686D-41A9-8889-BA0BFC90ED42_zpsam6xn3hm.jpg

It took us almost a dang month, but TADA! (I mean, we still have to seal it, but look at it!)
 photo A39A35F6-0521-4F1C-B221-C92808A4EE0E_zpsxyxkoyi9.jpg

It snowed a couple of days later, which afforded us a whole day off work to seal the deal.  It takes roughly 23 days to tile 100 sq. ft. of floor. FYI.
 photo FD19BA4C-3C47-478C-9880-781A603DD1C2_zps2yphdepn.jpg

Took Arrow out into the snow for the first time, ha ha:
 photo 605F3358-7AAD-4831-99C4-05C44A4EC89D_zps04ifndle.jpg

And then a day or so later, ATM, KMHD + I went to DTX to check out IKEA for kitchen cabinets. We figured if we were gonna go this route, we'd have to see it in person.  Naturally, we checked out American Airlines Center, home of the Dallas Stars!
 photo 4CA1B71E-580B-4629-88E9-66AB5D735F98_zps5808oztf.jpg

We are in a hockey town, even if Dallas doesn't admit it:
 photo 3A806316-6E7E-4D08-AAE0-E08F36A35983_zps5uetod3h.jpg

We know how to tile, you guys:
 photo BC52E7E7-D35F-43BF-B8F9-1151DCAB931B_zpst6scm7jy.jpg

We can smile again:
 photo C3FE2631-7597-4C2B-A582-E8EF6D270E53_zpslgfmf7jn.jpg

This mongrel:
 photo 481254D7-578A-4A80-9316-156228A03710_zpszuvwzxf8.jpg

Hiking and collecting moss specimens with my favorite people on this planet at Woolly Hollow State Park:
 photo 6E50E2F1-4CBD-4F38-A3D8-F9A5998434D0_zpsljnwjavi.jpg

 photo C86792EF-2884-4EF2-98F6-F1C610ECB6CA_zpsjja4owvb.jpg

The world is not ready for this:
 photo F039836E-4211-4DB9-A3AD-29675520A391_zpsuigolzqm.jpg

 photo 7B7DC9BF-1B2A-4BAB-B0F5-E59B76C67D63_zps4g0umf7z.jpg

And that is January 2016. We did a major thing in the kitchen! Finally! The eternal renovation continues.

1 comment:

kmhd said...

What a nice reminder of where you've been and where you are. What a crazy, and in retrospect, fun time! We did a bunch of stuff. We have skills. BOOM

Your floor looks great. I'm glad you took it upon yourselves.

Blog Archive